If you are already going to have a wait involved with your custom furniture order, be sure to make it worth the time and investment by going with an upholstery material that will deliver the longevity you expect. It might surprise you that you can make your upholstered sofa, chair, or other furniture stand up to even rigorous use by selecting a material that is fairly durable. Here are a few suggestions that can help you get the custom furniture result you deserve.
- Indoor-Outdoor Fabrics- Woah! You can’t mean that! Yes, we do! There are outdoor fabric options today that are nearly indistinguishable from indoor fabric. They are plenty soft, too– not the stiff, waxy feeling fabrics you’d expect. They’ll stand up to spills and even resist fading if by a window. The only caveat here is to be sure you are getting a quality solution-dyed acrylic because there are some that won’t hold up nearly as well.
- Leather- You can never go wrong with leather, as it stands up to just about any abuse. If you are concerned about a few blemishes because of kids or pets, consider a distressed leather so any mishaps are less noticeable.
- Other Natural Fabrics- There are many natural fabrics that are incredible durable, including wool, Belgian linen, and mohair. Keep in mind that natural doesn’t mean it’s going to be strong. For example, some cotton fabrics are durable and others are not.
- Sources- Some countries are exceptional for the quality of the mills and the fabrics they produce. Others, such as China, have more inferior mills than good ones and should be avoided.
- Patterns and Textures- The more that is going on with the pattern and texture, the more easily it hides dirt and stains. The only caution with texture is to be sure it doesn’t snag easily, particularly if you have children or pets.
At Brawley Furniture, we have a wide selection of furnishings on display in our 40,000-square-foot showroom, as well as the option for custom furniture should you want something unique. We also offer custom upholstery, and we’re happy to discuss the best fabric options for your situation and objectives. We’ve proudly served the Mooresville, North Carolina area for more than 50 years, and we are confident we can help you furnish your home in the style you envision. Stop by to see us today to learn more.